8 Eating Tips as a Natural Allergy Treatment
Allergies can appear in many different forms — itchy eyes, runny nose, scratchy throat, coughing and sneezing. These overreactions of the human immune system are found in millions of Americans. In fact, 50 million people have been linked to having nasal allergies alone. Because allergies can oftentimes be overwhelming in Phoenix, a lot of residents turn to a naturopathic family care doctor for help.
Seeking natural allergy treatment from a naturopathic doctor in Phoenix is a great start for overcoming this battle. During your visit with one of the physicians at Longevity Medical, it is very likely that you will receive advice for improving your eating habits.
Below, you can find a list of tips to get you started:
Eating Tips as a Natural Allergy Treatment
Drink a cup of hot tea, like green tea, daily. There are natural antihistamines found in tea, which can reduce morning sneezing and other allergy symptoms.
- Stay away from spicy foods when pollen counts are high. Spices can cause an overproduction of histamine, which can spark seasonal allergy symptoms.
- Try switching to the Mediterranean diet, which consists of lots of fruits, veggies, olive oil, whole grains, beans and fish. This has shown to help individuals control their asthma.
- Avoid eating sushi and other raw food during the height of allergy season. This includes fresh fruits and veggies. Instead, cook them to help reduce risk of symptoms.
- Add probiotics to your diet, such as yogurt or miso. This can help with digestion and regulation of your immune system to combat allergies.
- Reduce your calorie intake and lose weight (if you’re overweight). Research shows that obesity can make asthma worse.
- Limit how much salt you consume. Studies reveal that eating a high-salt diet is associated with severe asthma. Eating less salt has also shown to improve lung function and reduce asthmatic symptoms.
- Eat more omega-3 fatty acids, which you can find in fish or hemp seeds. Research shows that those with an omega-3 rich diet have reduced asthma symptoms.
Overcoming allergy symptoms is a challenge that many Americans are learning to overcome. With the help of a naturopathic doctor, you too can learn to live a life without allergies. To learn more, call Longevity Medical and schedule a consultation.