Chemicals in the environment can disrupt the normal activity of estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, and other hormones in women. These chemicals are known as “hormone” or “endocrine disrupting compounds”. Women are exposed to hormone disrupting compounds every day, often without knowing it. The exposure to chemicals is coming from numerous sources including;
- Pesticides on found on fruits and vegetables
- Non-organic meat and dairy products tainted with dioxins
- Fish that have high levels of mercury and pesticides
- Bisphenol-A and phthalates in plastic beverage bottles, tablecloths, shower curtains, and plastic food wrappings, and plastic food storage containers
- Unfiltered well water and city water
- Household cleaning products, cosmetics, perfumes, dry cleaning, carpet, and vinyl floors
- Furniture air fresheners, mattresses, and shampoos
Studies have shown that low-dose daily exposure to these chemicals can affect women’s health. These chemicals affect the hormonal system leading to such conditions as infertility, fibroids, endometriosis, fibromyalgia, thyroid disease and more.
Chemicals that build up in the body will start to affect a woman’s health if they are not removed. The basic principle behind detoxification is to remove the toxins stored in your body. This is done by releasing chemicals from fat tissue, organs and extracellular spaces that have been stored for years. Once they are released, they will re-enter the blood stream and will be metabolized through the liver. This is where it is critical to support liver phase-one and phase-two detoxification pathways. Next, the organs of elimination need to be supported to get the toxic byproducts produced from the liver out of the body.
The four steps in detoxification include mobilizing stored toxins, supporting liver metabolism, elimination from the body, and avoid re-exposure to chemicals in the environment. The first part of detoxification involves getting the stored toxins to be released back into the blood stream. Dr. Marchese explains detoxification in depth in her best-selling book “8 Weeks to women’s Wellness” The book is available at Naturopathic Family Care or online at Amazon.
Dr. Marchese will be giving a free lecture on this topic and talking people through a 21 day cleanse Thursday Jan 19th 2012 at 6pm at Naturopathic Family Care.